Wednesday, January 18, 2017

A Leader's Greatest Victory Is Over His Ego

I think it's fitting for us to talk about humility before the 45th President of the United States is sworn into office on January 20th.  President Lincoln throughout history has been regarded as a great leader who had great humility.  Why?  He learned that a leader's greatest victory is over his own ego.

If you've ever not confessed to doing something wrong, guess what, you've got an ego problem.  Me too.  My pride often gets in the way of my relationships and my ability to serve God.  Can you relate?

2000 years ago, one of Jesus' original 12 disciples, a guy by the name of Peter, had an ego problem too.  But Jesus had a way of humbling Peter...for his own good.  When Peter cut off a guy's ear to try and protect Jesus, Jesus humbled Peter.  When Peter denied Jesus that same night, he was humbled again.  I'm guessing that when Peter wrote 1 Peter 5:6, "Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time" he knew the reality of that statement first hand.  

If you and I want to be influential leaders in our homes, in our workplaces, and in our communities, then we must humble ourselves under God's mighty hand.  After all, He's God.  We are not.  His are the hands that created this world.  His are the hands who were nailed to a cross and then three days later were revealed to His astonished disciples when He proved that He was risen from the dead!  His mighty hands are the ones that rule this world for our good.

Don't be too proud to trust Jesus.  Don't be too proud to admit when you are wrong.  Don't be too proud to realize that the largest room in your, and my, house is the room for improvement.  Don't be too proud to pray to Jesus and ask Him for a double dose of humility...your friends and your family members won't mind that a bit!

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving me enough to humble me before you exalt me or else my pride would destroy me. Your will be done. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting article! Thank you for sharing them! I hope you will continue to have similar posts to share with everyone.
    gclub

    ReplyDelete