Monday, December 19, 2011

When You Face the Impossible...


How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?” The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month. For nothing is impossible with God.” “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May it be to me as you have said.”  (Luke 1:34-38)

Mary's question resonates within all of us: Lord, how will this be? What fears or concerns are alive in your heart today? What's your reason for asking the Lord, "How will this be?" The details of Mary's conversation with the angel Gabriel are worth pondering for all of us.

Mary asked, "So I am going to have a baby boy that will rule forever...how will this be, since I am a virgin?" The angel declared, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God…For nothing is impossible with God.” The angel pointed Mary to the fact that God is not limited in any way; he able to do anything.

And Mary was perfectly content with that. She believed what the angel said. She trusted the almighty God, and that she was simply the Lord's servant. "I will let God figure out how it will be," she thought. "My Lord can be in charge of the ‘virgins-having-babies’ department. I will take the role he has given me, and with the Lord in control, I will enjoy this chapter of my life in his peace."

When you ask the Lord, "How will this be?" let him be in control. Take him at his Word, for nothing is impossible for him. After all, he accomplished your salvation through the sacrifice of his holy Son; he took away your sin and made you a member of his kingdom by faith in Jesus. Enjoy your status as the Lord's very own treasured servant. That way, no matter what chapter in your life comes next – and it doesn't even matter what the details are – you will have the peace of God.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to take you at your word like Mary did, that I might cast all my anxiety on you, trust that nothing is impossible for you, and live the next chapter of my life in your peace.  Amen.

-Pastor Chris Johnson, Outreach and Young Adult Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment