Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Priorities


"Since everything will be destroyed [on the Last Day], what kind of people ought you to be? …Make every effort to be found…at peace with him."  (2 Peter 3: 11,14)

The camera captured the moment.  Up to this point, the cable program had been filming inside the home of a woman whose hoarding of material things had consumed her life.  There was virtually no place to sit, no place to eat, no place to sleep.  Even worse, she spent all her time with her things and no time with her adult daughter.  The woman had agreed to allow her daughter and a crew of cleanup experts to come and help.  As soon as they tried sorting through her possessions, however, the woman’s attitude turned dark.  In a frantic rage she began spouting every reason why nothing should leave the house, why everything should stay the same.  After two days of trying to reason with her, the cleanup crew drove away with empty trucks.

It was then that the camera captured the moment.  The daughter, exhausted and sobbing, said, in essence, “I’ve lost my mother.  She’s chosen this over me.  She’s going to stay here.  And one day I’m going to find her here, dead, surrounded by all her things.”

It was an uncomfortable program to watch.  But even more uncomfortable to watch is my own life – when the temporary things of this world begin to mean more to me than my relationship with my Savior.

How many times have I behaved like that woman?  How many times have I initially agreed that spending time with Jesus is more important than the accumulation of stuff?  But then, when push comes to shove, how many times has my attitude turned dark?  How many times have I come up with all kinds of reasons why the priorities in my life should stay just as they are?

I know how I have to answer that question.  I think you do too.

But here’s the good news.  Your stuff does not have to consume you.  The temporary things of this world do not have to have the last word.  Jesus died for all of your wasted moments.  His blood has washed clean all of your wasted years.  This means that, through faith in Jesus, you are free.  You belong to him!  It also means that you can begin your life again anew right now.

How?  Just step away from your stuff.  Step away from what the world thinks is important.  And get re-acquainted with the only Savior you’re ever going to have.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, forgive my wasted moments and wasted years.  Empower me to begin again.  Amen.

-Pastor Chris Johnson, Outreach and Young Adult Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment