Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Who do you pray for?


This story is about Mr K. He was the dean of students at my high school. His job was to discipline students. He told me one day that our school would be a better place if people like me would quit going to it.  He was really upset with me when he told me this because I started a food fight in our cafeteria that afternoon. He was put in authority over me. It was his job to keep the student body under control and I was making his day particularly difficult. I never prayed for Mr. K. when I was a student. Reflecting on this event I realize now how I treated Mr. K. was wrong and he certainly could have used the prayers. I often wonder whatever became of Mr. K. After reading Paul’s letter to Timothy (1 Timothy 2:1-8) I suddenly have an urge to pray for him and people that have jobs like him.

Have you ever thanked God for someone you do not know, or even someone you may not like, because God wants you to? In I Timothy 2:1, God says to pray for everyone. Now you can think that He can’t honestly expect you to pray for everyone. After all, it doesn’t make sense to pray for someone you do not even know or like. But it does! The rest of the Scripture lesson states that God wants all men to be saved and that Jesus died for everyone.

Consequently, we get to pray for people we don’t like and especially those in authority. So, next time you pray to God, pray not only for those people you know and like, but pray for everyone.

In the Grace of Christ,

Tad Schubring
Youth Education

No comments:

Post a Comment