Wednesday, August 5, 2015

What if Jesus was your financial advisor?


What if Jesus was your financial advisor?
Ever ask yourself this simple question?   I pondered this very question myself recently, thinking about how I might nervously begin to explain my current financial situation – saving, spending, and giving – to the one who has given me everything in my life.  This thought process naturally led me to ask myself what I really know about what the bible teaches us regarding stewardship and living generously. 

Fortunately for us we have a God who is forgiving of our occasional (and sometimes chronic) misuse of his financial blessings.  While God doesn’t presume us to be perfect in this regard, he has provided us a road-map for how he expects us to handle our earthly possessions – the Bible.  

Many people have written and debated about the appropriate use of wealth in both financial and religious circles.  But none share as clear and long lasting guidance as found in God's Word, the Bible. The Bible makes it clear that worldly possessions (and money) are a tool and a blessing. At the same time,  they can be spiritually damaging if used or thought of inappropriately. Just check out the parable of the rich fool. (Luke 12: 13-21) The bible is also clear on the importance of management of God’s gifts. Check out the parable of the talents for more on that. (Matthew 25: 14-30 ).  How's your management of worldly possessions and the wealth he has given you? What if Jesus was your financial advisor?


Contributor:  Cody Floeter is a partner of St. Mark’s and is a co-facilitator of Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University being offered at St Mark’s again this fall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment