Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Something that really matters Acts 16:11-15

Get up, grab a quick bite, get to work, go home, eat, check emails/Facebook, sleep. Sound familiar. Even for those who hate routine it is pretty easy to fall into one. Then you stop one day and ask, "Is this what I'm going to be doing for the next 5 years, 10 years, ... for life?" I don't want to be stuck in this rut. I want something that really matters. I want change. I want to be better. I want to do something that is really significant -- even though I'm not sure what that looks like or how to get there.

I think God wired us with an internal desire for more. I think the satisfaction for this desire is only found in Him. This is why I'm devoted to something that really matters - God and finding out his desire for my life. With this in mind I'm reading the Bible. If you would like to join me at the beginning of each month I'll post a portion of what I'm studying. With the Lord's blessing we will continue to uncover what really matters -- God's will for our lives.

I'm using a real simple system to focus in on the text. I'll read and listen to the text and ask what God might be leading me to Be thankful for, Confess, Ask, or Do. I'll journal out what's on my heart and mind. I invite you to do the same.

Here is the first part of the Bible reading...(Acts 16:11-15)
From Troas we put out to sea and sailed straight for Samothrace, and the next day on to Neapolis. From there we traveled to Philippi, a Roman colony and the leading city of that district of Macedonia. And we stayed there several days.
On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer. We sat down and began to speak to the women who had gathered there. One of those listening was a woman named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth from the city of Thyatira, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul’s message. When she and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home. “If you consider me a believer in the Lord,” she said, “come and stay at my house.” And she persuaded us.
I must admit that I didn't start with the easiest Scripture reference but it will make more sense as we move through it. For now I can share what I hear in that text. I hear Paul traveling to yet another city where he didn't know anyone there. To put myself in his shoes it must have been awfully scary and exhilarating at the same time. The fear of the unknown. Possible danger around every corner, etc. Then God provides some God fearing women to preach to. They take the message to heart and provide shelter for him.

This text leads me to
Be thankful for...
Other Christians that are close to encourage us when life happens or we feel alone.
Confess...
Sometimes I shy away from showing my faith because of fear of the socially awkward moments.
Ask...
Lord watch over our missionaries (both foreign and local). Provide even more Christians they can confide in that can encourage them and show them your love in the middle of everything.
Do...
Be bolder in my faith and trust that no matter what happens God will lead me through it.

Please read through the text one more time and let me know if you notice anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment