Wednesday, January 16, 2013

God is Pro-You


38 years ago, my mom was told by her doctor that if she did not abort her baby and begin treatments that she had a slim possibility of beating her cancer.    She and my dad prayed and they decided that they would leave her and their baby in God’s hands.  They decided that they would not abort the baby and not begin treatments until after the baby was born.  She carried her baby to full term.  He was born and baptized.  Then she began her treatments. 

My mom was very ill throughout much of her son’s childhood.  Surgeries, chemo treatments and radiation were a regular part of their life.  For 15 years she battled cancer, but with God’s help, she beat it.  Here’s the wonderful reality of my mom’s choice to put herself in God’s hands and trust His will for her life: today, my mom is alive and well and so am I.  You see, I was the one whom the doctor recommended that she abort.  I’m glad she didn’t.

Do you realize that in six days from today, our nation will be celebrating the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 U.S. Supreme court case that made abortion legal in all 50 states?  Do you realize that an estimated 54 million abortions have taken place in the U.S. since 1973?  Do you realize that there is a tremendous misalignment of values in our society?  We try and convict Scott Peterson for the death of his wife, Laci Peterson, AND his unborn child and yet, we don’t stop to think of all of the murders of unborn children due to abortion?  Why is it wrong in one case, but not in all the others?

Our nation is divided on this issue.  Some are pro-choice.  Some are pro-life.  Others don’t care.  I guarantee you, God is pro-life.  Because He is pro-life, he’s pro-you!  Look at Jeremiah 1:4-5, “The word of the LORD came to me, saying, ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, before you were born I set you apart…”  God is pro-you.  Before you were even formed in your mother’s womb, God knew you.  At the moment you were conceived, God cared for you.  As you were growing in your mother’s womb, God loved you…and still does!

You have value, wouldn’t you agree?  So do unborn children…all of them.  At conception, God made it possible for life to start.  At the cradle, God made it possible for life to be seen.  At Jesus’ cross, God made it possible for our sinful life to be forgiven.  At Jesus’ empty tomb, God made it possible for life to be eternally saved.  My friends, it’s time that we step up and point out that God is pro-you.  Everyone has value.  The bloody cross and the empty tomb prove it!

During this “right-to-life” month, here are three things I would like us to do.  First, intentionally pray that God would protect the unborn.  Second, intentionally pray for those who help protect the unborn such as our Bay Area Life Center pregnancy counseling here in Green Bay.  Third, I’m asking you to assist me in putting together a diaper drive for the Bay Area Life Center.  If you are interested, please e-mail me at chris.johnson@stmarkpartners.org and put in your subject heading: Life Center Diaper Drive.  And remember, treat everyone with value, because God is pro-you.

-Pastor Chris Johnson, Outreach and  Young Adult Pastor

1 comment:

  1. This is a powerful message, and should shake people to their souls. While we mourn the lives lost at the school shooting in CT and write hasty laws as a reaction to it, I wonder who is crying for the innocents snuffed out in abortion clinics? No reverential funeral services for them, no media crowded around for reaction...just coldly 'disposed' of as "medical waste".

    Thankful your parents did not allow society to influence their decision!

    ReplyDelete